College Futures Foundation’s work is rooted in increasing the number of diverse Californians that obtain a bachelor’s degree. To meet Governor Gavin Newsom’s call to action to ensure that at least 70% of working age adults in California obtain a postsecondary credential by 2030, California needs to take a hard look at the leadership of our colleges and universities. College Futures President & CEO Eloy Ortiz Oakley talks about the positive impact of diverse leadership on the experience and success of California’s diverse students. Watch the video message and learn more about the Whiteness Rules toolkit and the steps decision-makers can take to diversify higher education leadership.
In the News
- Racial bias: A recent report by the education advocacy group College Futures Foundation shows that racial bias plays a role in hiring for executive-level posts at all three of California’s higher education systems, The Mercury News reports. – Soumya Karlamangla, The New York Times, 11/23/22: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/us/california-thanksgiving.html
- How to increase diversity in college presidential searches, Inside the Issues, 11/22/22: https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west/news/2022/11/22/how-to-increase-diversity-in-college-presidential-searches
- Racial bias plays role in hiring leaders at UC, CSU and California Community Colleges, report says – Christina Merino, The Mercury News, 11/21/22: https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/11/21/california-colleges-presidential-hiring-practices-show-racial-bias-new-report-shows/
- How Colleges’ Presidential Searches Weed Out Candidates of Color and Women – Oyin Adedoyin, The Chronicle of Higher Education, 11/2/22: https://www.chronicle.com/article/how-colleges-presidential-searches-weed-out-candidates-of-color-and-women
- Study finds college president searches favor white men and offers strategies to change that – Emma Gallegos, EdSource, 10/31/22: https://edsource.org/2022/study-finds-college-president-searches-favor-white-men-and-offers-strategies-to-change-that/680577
- Whiteness Defines Expected Qualifications for American College Presidents – Liann Herder, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education, 10/31/22: https://www.diverseeducation.com/best-practices/article/15302452/whiteness-defines-expected-qualifications-for-american-college-presidents